It’s the 4th of July again, and again we’re on strawberry-blueberry dessert overload. You can’t swing a cat without running into a couple dozen variations of strawberry-blueberry-whipped cream desserts. This is a quick, no-bake, bite-sized take on that theme. I love it not only for its ease and quick prep time, but the amazing combination of tastes and textures you get in one bite. Crunchy cookie, creamy sweet cream cheese mixture, fruit, toasted nuts, and in this case even the chocolate on the cookie. Yum!
For your base, you can use pretty much any kind of cookie or cracker. I hit the international section of my grocery store’s cookie aisle. Anything crunchy and buttery would do.
I settled on Belgian Butters Chocolate patisserie waffle cookies, with half dipped in chocolate. How could it NOT be good?
Ingredients for cream cheese filling:
- Cookie base of your choice
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp extract of your choice
- toasted slivered almonds (optional)
- Depending on the flavors you and your family prefer, you can use vanilla extract, almond extract, or even lemon and orange extract. Any of these flavors would give a great complimentary flavor boost to the cream cheese and compliment the fruit and cookie.
- Place softened cream cheese in small bowl and beat with hand mixer until soft and fluffy. Add extract and powdered sugar and whip until combined.
- Place about a tablespoon of the mixture on your cookie. You can simply use a butter knife or small spatula to spread on the cookie, or you can get fancy and use a pastry bag and piping tip. I used a tip 32, open star tip.
- Now place washed berries on top of cream cheese mixture, then sprinkle with toasted sliced almonds, or serve without nuts.
If you have leftovers (unlikely!) be sure to store them in the refrigerator. These little bite-sized treats are a festive addition to your 4th of July celebration!